By Elizabeth Demarest
In her new booklet, Betty Demarest describes a daring schedule for schooling reform—one that's firmly grounded in a synthesis of academic study approximately studying, instructing, and the contexts of schooling. The author’s “learning-centered” framework comprises: (1) a huge and balanced set of schooling objectives, (2) a multi-faceted notion of accomplishment, (3) school room means for studying, (4) systemic means and infrastructure, (5) shared, reciprocal responsibility, and (6) structures of a number of tests. New research-based suggestions in those six parts are significantly in comparison to older strategies in the back of standards-based reform and No baby Left Behind.
- A accomplished, substitute framework for destiny schooling reform that makes a speciality of bettering the center academic practices of studying, instructing, content material, and leadership.
- A federal function that emphasizes significant partnerships instead of top-down control.
- A critique of previous criteria and current accountability-based frameworks, with implications of the learning-centered framework for destiny nationwide coverage, specifically ESEA
- An operational definition of academic skill, a re-conceptualization of responsibility, and a pointy reversal of the relative emphasis put on those strategies.
Elizabeth J. Demarestis an schooling advisor residing in Alexandria, Virginia. She was once previously with the U.S. division of schooling and the nationwide schooling Association.
“Betty Demarest basically defines a learning-centered framework for bettering coverage and perform. Practitioners can enjoy the thoughts outlining a transparent pathway for remodeling to learning-centered perform in our nation’s classrooms.” —Gerald N. Tirozzi, govt director, nationwide organization of Secondary tuition Principals
“Betty Demarest’s deep event with learn and coverage improvement permits her to re-envision reform at many degrees, all in keeping with learn facts for legitimate options and practices of educating and studying. This publication is a welcome reward to policymakers and practitioners.”
—Roland Tharp, learn professor, collage of California, Berkeley
“Demarest offers a research-based starting place for proficient dialogue and debate as Congress renews federal schooling legislation. Her synthesis of key concerns may still supply a kick off point for any severe dialogue of ways ahead in federal schooling policy.”
—Mary Haywood Metz, professor emerita, collage of Wisconsin–Madison
Read Online or Download A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy? PDF
Similar education policy books
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2009 im Fachbereich Pädagogik - Interkulturelle Pädagogik, notice: 2,0, FernUniversität Hagen (Kultur- und Sozialwissenschaften), Veranstaltung: Bildungswissenschaften, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Innerhalb der Europäischen Union leben circa one hundred seventy five Nationalitäten, was once eine ungemein große sprachliche und kulturelle Vielfalt bedingt.
The panorama of upper schooling has passed through swap and transformation lately, in part due to diversification and massification. besides the fact that, continual styles of under-representation proceed to perplex policy-makers and practitioners, elevating questions about present techniques, rules and methods to widening participation.
Lifelong studying is a key characteristic of society at the present time, and is outwardly embraced by way of quite a lot of educators and running shoes, in addition to via governments and employers. during this wide-ranging ebook, Sue Jackson indicates that universities were gradual to embody a lifelong studying schedule, and argues that the lifelong studying studies of girls – and particularly of working-class scholars – are seldom welcomed within the academy.
What are the right kind goals of schooling in a liberal democracy? Given the deep confrontation approximately ethical and spiritual values in smooth societies, what's the right stability among private and non-private claimants to academic authority? may still mom and dad take delivery of higher regulate over their kid's formal schooling?
- Education and the Reproduction of Capital: Neoliberal Knowledge and Counterstrategies (Marxism and Education)
- Grenzen beim Erziehen: Nähe und Distanz in pädagogischen Beziehungen (German Edition)
- Learning and Teaching British Values: Policies and Perspectives on British Identities
- Low-fee Private Schooling: aggravating equity or mitigating disadvantage? (Oxford Studies in Comparative Education)
- Funding Higher Education in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Building a New Educational State: Foundations, Schools, and the American South
Additional resources for A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy?