By Timothy D. Barnes
- First examine of Constantine to use Kevin Wilkinson's re-dating of the poet Palladas to the reign of Constantine, disproving the foremost scholarly trust that Constantine remained tolerant in concerns of faith to the tip of his reign
- Clearly units out the issues linked to depictions of Constantine and solutions them with nice clarity
- Includes Barnes' personal learn into the wedding of Constantine's mom and dad, Constantine's prestige as a crown prince and his father's valid inheritor, and his dynastic plans
- Honorable point out for 2011 Classics & old background PROSE award granted by way of the organization of yankee Publishers
Read or Download Constantine: Dynasty, Religion and Power in the Later Roman Empire (Blackwell Ancient Lives) PDF
Similar ancient history books
This examine ways the Epistle to the Ephesians in a noticeably diversified means from conventional commentaries. instead of analysing each one person verse, Martin Kitchen examines the entire textual content in the framework of latest biblical feedback. He recognizes the debt which bible study owes to old approach, whereas even as spotting the necessity to view the Epistle opposed to the historical past of contemporary literary ways to New testomony texts.
From the Bronze Age to the reign of Constantine, the Atlas of Classical background presents a accomplished sequence of maps, diagrams, and remark designed to fulfill the wishes of classical students, in addition to basic readers. Over a hundred thirty five maps of the Greek and Roman worlds basically mark the political affiliations of the towns and states, significant army occasions, exchange routes, creative, cultural and commercial facilities, and colonization and exploration.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2007 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Frühgeschichte, Antike, word: 1,3, Universität Duisburg-Essen, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: [. .. ] In der Forschung und Sekundärliteratur lassen sich unterschiedliche Positionen erkennen. Droysen sah im Hellenismus die absolute Verschmelzung von Orient und Okzident als welthistorisch notwendig.
Provincial governance lower than the Roman republic has lengthy been infamous for its corrupt officers and grasping tax-farmers, notwithstanding this is often faraway from being the full tale. This ebook demanding situations the normal photograph, contending that top past due republican electorate have been extra excited about the issues in their empire than is mostly well-known, and took potent steps to deal with them.
- Quaternary of the Levant: Environments, Climate Change, and Humans
- Not Bread Alone: The Uses of Food in the Old Testament
- The Cambridge Companion to Ancient Mediterranean Religions (Cambridge Companions to Religion)
- Geächtete Titanen (German Edition)
- The Cambridge Companion to Archaic Greece (Cambridge Companions to the Ancient World)
Additional resources for Constantine: Dynasty, Religion and Power in the Later Roman Empire (Blackwell Ancient Lives)