By Lisa R. Silberstein
extensive interviews with dual-career other halves and husbands supply wealthy information regarding 4 significant issues:
* In what methods and for whom do dual-career marriages reflect the normal gender preparations of one-career marriages, and in what methods do dual-career marriages characterize a revolution in gender roles?
* How do the 2 careers of spouses advance aspect via aspect, and in what methods do dual-career spouses aid or prevent each one other's careers?
* How do paintings and family members mix in dual-career marriages?
* How are relationships among spouses and among mom and dad and youngsters plagued by twin careers?
This publication offers a sophisticated, textured portrait of up to date dual-career marriage -- studying the advanced interaction of expectancies, behaviors, and feelings inside and among dual-career spouses. the writer observes that the centrality of relations or paintings to every spouse's feel of self powerfully impacts how the couple negotiates the demanding situations posed by way of dual-career marriage, together with emotions of festival among spouses, questions of geographic strikes, and department of household projects. The research illuminates many problems with medical relevance, akin to the typical probability of dual-career spouses having little time for marital intimacy as soon as the rigorous calls for of careers and kids are met, and the complex intrapersonal in addition to interpersonal tensions generated via gender roles in transition.
Read Online or Download Dual-career Marriage: A System in Transition PDF
Best gender studies books
Die undertaking der Europäischen Union, die Stellung von Frauen in der europäischen Wissenschaft und Forschung aktiver als bisher zu stärken, bildet den Ausgangspunkt dafür, die europäische Forschungsförderung und -politik zum Gegenstand dieser empirischen Untersuchung (2003 bis 2005) zu machen. Zu diesem Zeitpunkt warfare die Europäische Union (im folgenden ecu) der politischen Selbstverpflichtung gefolgt, und hatte Gender Mainstreaming als neue gleichstellungspolitische Strategie aus der internationalen Politik der Vereinten Nationen (UN) bereits übernommen.
Via a variety of in-depth interviews, a survey of specialists operating with the eu Union and United countries, and Qualitative Comparative research of coverage debates, this article rethinks our realizing of gender services and the conditions that bring about professional good fortune in public policy.
This severe examine illuminates the overlooked intersection of battle, disorder, and gender as represented in a massive subgenre of worldwide warfare I literature. It calls into query public as opposed to deepest perceptions of time, mass media, city areas, emotion, and the more and more doubtful prestige of the long run.
2 hundred years after canon legislations prohibited clerical marriage, parish monks within the past due medieval interval persevered to shape unions with girls that have been marriage all yet in identify. In Defiant monks, Michelle Armstrong-Partida makes use of proof from impressive files in 4 Catalan dioceses to teach that keeping a kinfolk with a family companion used to be not just a customized entrenched in Catalan clerical tradition but additionally an integral part of priestly masculine id, person who prolonged to the sporting of guns and use of violence to unravel disputes and search revenge, to intimidate different males, and to keep up their prestige and authority in the neighborhood.
- Engendering Violence: Heterosexual Interpersonal Violence from Childhood to Adulthood
- Changing Men, Transforming Culture: Inside the Men's Movement (The Yale Cultural Sociology Series)
- Aphrodite-Vénus et ses enfants: Incarnations littéraires d'une mère problématique (Kubaba) (French Edition)
- The Fate of Gender: Nature, Nurture, and the Human Future
Extra resources for Dual-career Marriage: A System in Transition