By Penny Jane Burke
The panorama of upper schooling has gone through swap and transformation in recent times, in part because of diversification and massification. in spite of the fact that, continual styles of under-representation proceed to perplex policy-makers and practitioners, elevating questions about present ideas, rules and ways to widening participation.
Presenting a entire evaluation and critique of latest widening participation coverage and perform, Penny Jane Burke interrogates the underpinning assumptions, values and views shaping present ideas and understandings of widening participation. She attracts on quite a number views in the box of the sociology of schooling – together with feminist post-structuralism, serious pedagogy and coverage sociology – to ascertain the ways that wider societal inequalities and misrecognitions, that are with regards to distinction and variety, current specific demanding situations for the venture to widen participation in larger schooling. specifically, the book:
- focuses at the subject matters of distinction and variety to make clear the operations of inequalities and the politics of entry and participation either when it comes to nationwide and institutional coverage and on the point of pupil and practitioner event.
- draws at the insights of the sociology of schooling to contemplate not just the styles of under-representation in better schooling but in addition the politics of mis-representation, critiquing key discourses of widening participation.
- interrogates assumptions at the back of WP coverage and perform, together with assumptions approximately schooling being an unassailable sturdy
- provides an research of the debts and views of scholars, practitioners and policy-makers via in-depth interviews, observations and reflective magazine entries.
- offers insights for destiny advancements within the coverage, perform and methods for widening participation
The ebook might be of significant use to all these operating in and learning larger Education.
Read or Download The Right to Higher Education: Beyond widening participation (Foundations and Futures of Education) PDF
Best education policy books
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2009 im Fachbereich Pädagogik - Interkulturelle Pädagogik, word: 2,0, FernUniversität Hagen (Kultur- und Sozialwissenschaften), Veranstaltung: Bildungswissenschaften, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Innerhalb der Europäischen Union leben circa a hundred seventy five Nationalitäten, used to be eine ungemein große sprachliche und kulturelle Vielfalt bedingt.
The panorama of upper schooling has passed through switch and transformation in recent times, in part due to diversification and massification. in spite of the fact that, chronic styles of under-representation proceed to perplex policy-makers and practitioners, elevating questions on present recommendations, rules and techniques to widening participation.
Lifelong studying is a key function of society at the present time, and is outwardly embraced through quite a lot of educators and running shoes, in addition to through governments and employers. during this wide-ranging e-book, Sue Jackson exhibits that universities were sluggish to embody a lifelong studying schedule, and argues that the lifelong studying reviews of ladies – and particularly of working-class scholars – are seldom welcomed within the academy.
What are the correct goals of schooling in a liberal democracy? Given the deep war of words approximately ethical and non secular values in sleek societies, what's the right stability among private and non-private claimants to academic authority? may still mom and dad take delivery of better keep watch over over their kid's formal schooling?
- Reclaiming Integration and the Language of Race in the "Post-Racial" Era
- Embracing Non-Tenure Track Faculty: Changing Campuses for the New Faculty Majority
- All Systems Go: The Change Imperative for Whole System Reform
- Education Quality Management: Effective Schools Through Systemic Change
Additional resources for The Right to Higher Education: Beyond widening participation (Foundations and Futures of Education)